No No! No Go!
There are a few contraindications to consider BEFORE proceeding with your sugaring or waxing hair removal treatment. (Note: a contraindication is a condition or factor that serves as a reason to withhold or delay a certain medical or other specialized procedure.)
During our consultation, prior to the hair removal process, I will ask you to complete a form where you can inform me of any topical or oral medications you might be using, or health and skin conditions (such as eczema or psoriasis) you may have.
These questions are designed to help ensure a pleasant and successful hair removal experience for you!
Professional Body Sugaring and Waxing is a very successful form of hair removal for both men and women and on all skin and hair types. However, there are some occasions that one needs to take precautions, or when it cannot be done.
- Women may experience extra sensitivity to sugaring or waxing for up to ONE (1) week prior to the beginning of their period/menses.
- Cold sores/Herpes: the process of hair removal may spread the virus.
- Prescription oral acne medication, e.g. Accutane: You may have to wait for ONE (1) year or longer from the time you last used it, prior to your hair removal treatment.
- Light facial peels and topical prescription acne products, such as Retin-A, which is a topical retinoid commonly used to treat acne vulgaris and keratosis pilaris, or any skin-thinning products and and anti-aging products such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids, (e.g. glycolic acid, lactic acid, citric acid and mandelic acid) will require a waiting period after completing the treatment to be sugared or waxed on your FACE.
- Microdermabrasion: We suggest you wait a MINIMUM of one (1) week prior to being sugared or waxed on that area as these can result in light facial skin removal, also called “lifting”, during the hair removal treatment.
- Physician administered peels: You should not receive sugaring or waxing until you receive your physician’s approval.
- Sunburned or irritated areas should not be sugared or waxed. Let your skin heal from the sun damage or irritation prior to making your appointment.
- Moles cannot be sugared or waxed: I can work around these.
- Laser skin resurfacing: Do not receive sugaring or waxing hair removal until you have received your physician’s approval.
Please read our medical disclaimer.
Prior To Your HAIR REMOVAL Appointment
- Lightly exfoliate (with a sugar or salt scrub, a facecloth or gentle loofah) the area to be removed of hair THREE (3) days prior to your appointment.
- It is preferable to wear loose, comfortable clothing and underwear (if receiving more intimate hair removal) so there’s no discomfort from chafing.
- Some people like to take an antihistamine or over-the-counter pain reliever (such as Ibuprofen) prior to their appointment, if they have a low pain threshold! 🙂
- You might also want to avoid caffeine or alcohol as these are vasodilators and will therefore enlarge your blood vessels, which can make your experience less pleasant.
- If you have been shaving, you will need at least TWO (2) weeks growth so that the hair removal product can adhere to the hair sufficiently. You will require approximately THREE (3) appointments before the follicle damage caused from shaving is remedied.
No No’s Following your Sugaring/Waxing Hair Removal Treatment
- NO sun for TWELVE (12) hours
- NO hot baths for 24 hours
- NO abrasives (chemical or manual) for 24 hours
- Deodorants applied within 24 hours following an underarm hair removal treatment could cause irritation if your skin is sensitive.
- We recommend you wait 24 hours after a bikini or Brazilian (LA Bikini) sugaring before engaging in sexual activity that would introduce friction or bacteria to the area.
Now that THAT’S out of the way, you can look forward to seeing, and feeling a new, smooth, more beautiful YOU!!
Call me (Ellen Dutton) at (334) 399-9310 and receive a FREE consultation.
We provide services for Central Alabama and the Montgomery River Region, including: Montgomery, Prattville, Auburn, Selma, Greenville, Troy, Maxwell AFB, Wetumpka and Birmingham.